[Panel-devel] Allow TaskBar Context Menus

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Oct 20 21:03:40 CEST 2007

On Saturday 20 October 2007, Robert Knight wrote:
> > the layout should try to push other things out of the way - and then let
> > them go back when it shrinks.
>
> In Qt, layouting is a top-down process.  I don't know exactly how
> Kicker operates, but following the Qt pattern the system tray applet
> would inform its managing layout that its size constraints have
> changed

correct. however, for panels there are some additional and rather unique
requirements. namely, everything has to be visible and the panel itself can't
change size (well, it can if the user says it can, but it also has to deal
with hard constraints on the size as well). unlike in a dialog where every
widget is allowed to simply do whatever it wants, the panel must handle it's
space cooperatively so that all the applets get an optimal presentation. it's
much easier when one can just expand infinitely, though that does lead to
annoyances like dialogs resizing due to contents or needing scrollbars in the
control panel to ensure a rational window size is maintained.

in kicker, this led to making it so that applets could advertise themselves as
expanding to full width. this played really badly with
expand-as-required-to-fit-contents panels: to expand and applet to "full
width" requires knowing what "full width" means, but if you are trying to
resize to the minimal size needed then you don't know yet what "full" means.
it leads to a catch 22 that is not very pleasant to solve and leads to
bizarre behaviour from the user's perspective.

there are other issues that come up, but that one is probably one of the
better examples.

> > of course, there would be spaces between applets if layouts had been done
> > according to my original suggestions. instead here we are fighting with
> > the exact problems i said would come.
>
> I remain unconvinced that your suggestion will work.

can you please provide an explanation for this POV, as i have done so (a few
times now) for the current layouting approach? i've given a concrete
suggestion here, i'd appreciate a concrete response. this really isn't one of
those things one has to see like artwork or visual effects to comment on.

> The normal thing
> to do in this case would be for you to create a branch of plasma in
> branches/work, implement the panel as you think it should be done.
> The rest of us can then check it out and if it meets the requirements,
> merge it back.

maybe it's just me, but this really struck me the wrong way and i'm left with
a bad taste in my mouth. i suppose it's because it feels like you're telling
me that i can no longer commit to my own code base, and this is not the first
time either. which is pretty ... unbelievable. i feel like there is a power
struggle going on here and i'm not quite sure the reason for it, but this
situation is having a negative impact on me, and i'd assume others. i'd like
to find a way to resolve it.