[Panel-devel] Allow TaskBar Context Menus

Sven Burmeister sven.burmeister at gmx.net
Sat Oct 20 19:51:50 CEST 2007

On Freitag, 19. Oktober 2007, Mike Evans wrote:
> Up until now, the taskbar would eat all right clicks in non-item areas,
> because the task group eats up all unused area

Why does it do so? If I have one task open it is not displayed across the
whole panel so the taskbar should not use the whole panel either. If this is
fixed the user does have access to the panel on those areas that are not
used.

Of course it can happen that there are that many tasks that the taskbar needs
all of the space, in that case there is no space to click on the taskbar. The
user should still be able to add applets via d&d though.

Since the taskbar must know whether it reached its limits, i.e. shrinks the
max width per task, would it not be possible to not only let it show the
taskbar's context-menu as sub-menu but also a sub-menu for the panel?

Having just a tiny space next to the taskbar-apllet is what users are used to
from 3.5 yet I always found it hard to explain to people where to look and
click exactly, i.e. they often clicked just a tiny bit next to it and did not
get the menu I was refering to. So the bigger the area to access the panel's
and applet's area is the better.

In fact I think this is true for other applets too. If one wants to change the
settings of the news-applet one has to click on the border instead of
anywhere on the main area.

Sven