[Panel-devel] A better toolbox UI

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Oct 19 22:08:12 CEST 2007

On Friday 19 October 2007, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> I'm still not getting the purpose of this thing. I hope you can relief my
> doubts about this piece of the plasma UI:

sure.

> - It's in the top-right corner, which already is used for two things (in my
>   setup): Closing an application and kwin's expose effect

show me how this interferes with closing an application and i'll provide an
answer to that.

kwin's expose effect: that's a really shitty conflict indeed. i'll have to
talk with the kwin boys about it.

> - With the old toolbox, as soon as something ends up behind this thing,
> it's very frustrating getting it back.

there's a reason the old one is gone, and why this one is in the upper right
corner. we could also probably provide an occlusion area ensuring that
widgets never end up permanently behind it.

> - In the old toolbox, it sometimes got hard to handle it. The toolbox would
>   slide out as soon as the mouse left the area, which happend rather often,
>   especially when scrolling

which is why:

- there will only be clickable buttons that bring up other pieces of UI in the
toolbox
- we aren't using a QWidget but a QGraphicsItem this time (well, that and the
flicker the widget induced)

> I'd be happy to be shown the rationale behind this funny way of putting a
> UI somewhere.

i'm not even sure why i should have to answer this, other than as a way to use
my time and try my patience.

i'm sorry you all had to put up with the old toolbox for so long. i said from
day ONE that it was a TEMPORARY way for people (particularly myself) to get
at development and debugging tools. i'm sorry that it is confusing for people
to grasp the concepts i'm working with or to disentangle "temporary,
debugging purpose" from "now we're working on something usable" in your mind.

but i'm really not prepared to justify myself to everyone every day, day after
day. you have no idea how many times i've been ready to just walk away from
maintainership of this project and say "ok, you guys figure it out." due to
this.

maybe ask the people who were at dev days just how stupid the design concepts
are, as we got to have a really nice in person talk about and demo of it all.
but i'm really not prepared to spend another day's energy being grilled about
things online or educate the Nth person on various ideas of UI theory. i've
lost too many weeks of time, energy and motivation to that.

it's pretty obvious why free software ends up being the same boring shit over
and over again, because to do anything interesting requires that you either
tell everyone to fuck off (because they won't get it until they see it
anyways, and until then they just pester you) or have the patience of a saint
(to deal with the constant and irreverent barrage).

i don't want to do the former and i really don't know if i have the latter.