[Panel-devel] A better toolbox UI

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Fri Oct 19 13:22:52 CEST 2007

On Friday 19 October 2007 00:08:34 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Thursday 18 October 2007, Billy Juliani wrote:
> > Hello, I am a designer, and new to the KDE project. I saw the newly
> > redesigned plasma toolbox and thought that it needed some work. The plain
> > half circle isn't very attractive. Here are two mockups I made :
>
> yes, the circle is temporary so i can get things working. once things are
> working it's easier to make things pretty.
>
> in any case, to get the ring effect i'd need to have the gradient
> parameters you used.
>
> we'll still want a translucent fill in the semicircle for the obvious
> reason that if something is under it, it looks pretty odd if it's
> completely transparent.

I'm still not getting the purpose of this thing. I hope you can relief my
doubts about this piece of the plasma UI:

- It's in the top-right corner, which already is used for two things (in my
  setup): Closing an application and kwin's expose effect
- With the old toolbox, as soon as something ends up behind this thing, it's
  very frustrating getting it back.
- In the old toolbox, it sometimes got hard to handle it. The toolbox would
  slide out as soon as the mouse left the area, which happend rather often,
  especially when scrolling

I'd be happy to be shown the rationale behind this funny way of putting a UI
somewhere.
--
sebas