[Panel-devel] Adding applets and event effect

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Oct 19 21:19:05 CEST 2007

On Friday 19 October 2007, Sven Burmeister wrote:
> On Freitag, 19. Oktober 2007, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Thursday 18 October 2007, Sven Burmeister wrote:
> > > For both these issues mentioned above, would it be possible to e.g.
> > > have the plasmoid come to the front and then fade into the background
> > > after 2 seconds?
> >
> > there are two issues here: one is appearing and the other is
> > notification.
> >
> > new applet appearing: certainly not for 4.0 and doubtful for after 4.0
> > since this effect would probably not be all that dandy in practice (think
> > when there is no window covering the item, or when there is and it just
> > fades away .... to where?)
>
> If users drop the applet at some place and it simply disappears it seems
> rather unnatural. If I drop an item on something it lays on top of it or in
> case of a liquid seeps through it.
>
> For the effect I see no issue in case there are no windows, e.g.:
>
> - The newly added applet is set to stay always on top
> - Its transparency is increased to 100%
> - The "always on top" is removed
> - The transparency reset to 0%.
>
> In case there are no windows this would simply cause the plasmoid to
> "blink" once and if there are windows it would fade behind the windows.

hm. i'm still unconvinced, but that doesn't mean much ;) if you can come up
with a patch that shows the concept, i'll be happy to try it out.

> > getting attention: i'd rather have that supported by the taskbar and
> > allow it to bring up the "dashboard" view, which doesn't yet exist
> > (though we have all the hard bits done at this point..). so ... yeah,
> > once again with the jumping ahead one step.
>
> This would imply that the taskbar is visible, which is not always the case,
> would it not?

by default it is. if the user decides to hide it away, not much we can do
about that is there? they also won't get notified of application attention
requests either. of course, we could provide an Attention Please widget that
does nothing but list things that want your attention ;)