[Panel-devel] Adding applets and event effect

Sven Burmeister sven.burmeister at gmx.net
Fri Oct 19 09:07:49 CEST 2007

On Freitag, 19. Oktober 2007, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Thursday 18 October 2007, Sven Burmeister wrote:
> > For both these issues mentioned above, would it be possible to e.g. have
> > the plasmoid come to the front and then fade into the background after 2
> > seconds?
>
> there are two issues here: one is appearing and the other is notification.
>
> new applet appearing: certainly not for 4.0 and doubtful for after 4.0
> since this effect would probably not be all that dandy in practice (think
> when there is no window covering the item, or when there is and it just
> fades away .... to where?)

If users drop the applet at some place and it simply disappears it seems
rather unnatural. If I drop an item on something it lays on top of it or in
case of a liquid seeps through it.

For the effect I see no issue in case there are no windows, e.g.:

- The newly added applet is set to stay always on top
- Its transparency is increased to 100%
- The "always on top" is removed
- The transparency reset to 0%.

In case there are no windows this would simply cause the plasmoid to "blink"
once and if there are windows it would fade behind the windows.

> getting attention: i'd rather have that supported by the taskbar and allow
> it to bring up the "dashboard" view, which doesn't yet exist (though we
> have all the hard bits done at this point..). so ... yeah, once again with
> the jumping ahead one step.

This would imply that the taskbar is visible, which is not always the case,
would it not?

Sven