[Panel-devel] peer review clarification

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 04:48:37 CEST 2007

on that note, I guess I should mention that I'm working to squish bugs in the
systray and taskbar and so on.

the systray seemed to only have a bare minimum of code, and google wasn't
finding me as much documentation as I'd like on how a systray is supposed to
work, so I just made it remove items properly - other features can wait, I
suppose.
I noticed that it uses a hbox layout; am I right in assuming that this really
should depend on the formfactor? once we can make vertical panels, we'll want
the systray to adapt to that... er, but first, I guess it would be useful to
have the systray widgets over the panel where they belong, instead of
hovering mysteriously above it, and I guess the applet needs to expand as the
widget does, so that the panel knows the systray is taking up more space...
umm.. can the panel properly handle expanding widgets? right now it seems
like the taskbar will just expand as much as it can, and if I move the clock,
I have to be careful not to move it under the taskbar's invisible territory.

that brings me to another problem: I don't like how the taskbar is invisible
and unmovable and generally uncontrollable. I like to have control over my
applets (remember, in kde3 the taskbar can be removed). that idea for magical
hover buttons for the desktop might be useful once it's implemented, but that
doesn't take care of other formfactors afaik. what about doing something like
the applet handles in kde3? or just add stuff to the right-click menu and
pray that the applet *cough*taskbar*cough* doesn't blindly override this.

however it ends up being done... I just want a way to control my desktop.

also, the last panel patch on this mailing list still hasn't been committed.
wtf? if nothing happens with that, I might just take it into my own hands
later today.

--
This message brought to you by evyl bananas, and the number 3.
www.chani3.com