[Panel-devel] a few new rules for applets

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Nov 25 00:00:45 CET 2007

On Saturday 24 November 2007, Percy Leonhardt wrote:
> On Saturday 24 November 2007, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > - never re-implement contentSizeHint unless there is a really, really
> > good reason to do so. because unless the applet is extra careful, it will
> > break free-resizing. instead, set a default size in the constructor or in
> > init() and the adjust contents to the size of the applet.
>
> As I already mentioned the network applet is resizing itself when the user
> changes the detail level with the mouse wheel. Is there a chance to keep
> this functionality together with free-resizing? Anything I can do to make
> both features work together?

yep. just call resize() based on the current size rather than reimplement
contentSizeHint().

> I thought the free-resizing (by using the handle) is more like rotating and
> zooming so that a certain zoom-level gets stored for the applet. This

it's not a zoom level. never has been, never was planned on being. it's how
big in pixels the user or device (or containment or layout or..) wants/needs
the object to be. resolution independant interfaces.

what does need to happen (which isn't right now) is the applet handle needs to
be fixed to respect the minimumSizeHint