[Panel-devel] Plasma and the window manager (Re: KDE/kdebase/workspace/plasma/plasma)

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 14:40:14 CET 2007

> perhaps we should put a hack in corona that publishes where the systray is
> positioned and then rely on the view in this one case to handle it. this
> could be put into Plasma::View i suppose. this would mean moving the
> systray-widget-handling code into Plasma::View itself, probably as a
> separate private class that it just creates as a child widget. when the
> systray applet moves or expands, it would emit a signal that corona would
> relay and the corresponding Plasma::View would move the widget as well.
>
> Chani: what do you think?

I think you guys know far more than me in this area :)
this sounds like a terrible hack, tying the systray applet to plasma so
tightly, but that doesn't mean it's the worst thing to do...

things I'm wondering:

what about other applets that need to have qwidgets? kickoff's got that menu,
for one... are we likely to see more things wanting something like this
(meaning we should figure out a general solution) or should we assume there's
no other justification for such things - if it hasn't been done by now, it
can wait until 4.1 - meaning we do this specially for the systray?

when it comes to correctly positioning stuff, is it worth having a shortcut
somewhere for an applet to find out where it really is? the systray has to
loop through views to find the one it's on (with no guarantee that's the only
one) which feels awkward to me.

what about silly users who create multiple systrays? currently they end up
with multiple ones, and harmless-seeming strangeness occurs, but is it
possible to just have one global widget and share that between systray
applets somehow?

what exactly is causing that darn black border?

I think the systray may be setting some other unnecessary options, too. it
seems like it's set to both keep-above *and* keep-below, by code in the
widget and the applet...

--
This message brought to you by evyl bananas, and the number 3.
www.chani3.com