[Panel-devel] Plasma and the window manager (Re: KDE/kdebase/workspace/plasma/plasma)

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Nov 20 20:32:26 CET 2007

On Tuesday 20 November 2007, Lubos Lunak wrote:
>  As far as I understood the systray widget cannot be handled normally like
> others for whatever internal reasons,

which is that we don't use QWidgets

> so if you need to keep it separately,
> at least keep it in the toplevel Plasma window.

which would be PanelView plasma ..

*thinks*

perhaps we should put a hack in corona that publishes where the systray is
positioned and then rely on the view in this one case to handle it. this
could be put into Plasma::View i suppose. this would mean moving the
systray-widget-handling code into Plasma::View itself, probably as a separate
private class that it just creates as a child widget. when the systray applet
moves or expands, it would emit a signal that corona would relay and the
corresponding Plasma::View would move the widget as well.

Chani: what do you think?

> That is, set the Plasma
> toplevel widget as its parent, keep it as the topmost child and keep the
> position relative to it.

yep.