[Panel-devel] Panel issues in KDE4 (especially K3PanelApplet )

Christian Esken esken at kde.org
Sun Nov 18 17:41:48 CET 2007

Am Sonntag, 18. November 2007 schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> On Sunday 18 November 2007, Chani wrote:
> > On November 18, 2007 23:12:05 Christian Esken wrote:
> > > the KDE4 sources, but I don't find any way to add K3PanelApplet's to the
> > > Panel. For example the KMix panel applet is using it, it is also
> > > compiling and installing fine, but cannot be used. Has anybody an idea
> > > how to do this?
> >
> > I don't quite know what k3panelapplet is, but it really sounds like
> > something that would depend on the dead kicker, because right now there is
> > absolutely no way kde3 panel applets could be put on the plasma panel. it's
> > flat-out impossible. I don't know whether it will be impossible forever,
> > though.
>
> it could be done the same way as the systray icons, actually, which is to say
> it would not be pretty.
>
> > I'm 99% sure that this k3panelapplet class is some remnant of the old
> > kicker that really should be gotten rid of
>
> yes
>
> > unless someone's planning to
> > work some magic to make it into something actually usable.
>
> i really doubt that's realistic given the API of the old KPanelApplet. i'm not
> really sure why it was even kept around aside from completeness and in case
> any non-kicker app was using it.

I have checked the usage in the following modules:

kdebase/
kdegraphics/
kdelibs/
kdemultimedia/
kdenetwork/
kdepim/
kdepimlibs/
kdesupport/
kdeutils/

Result: Only KMix uses it. Looks like the class is really deprecated. I'll rewrite the KMix PanelApplet, and after that K3PanelApplet should be removed from kdelibs.

   Christian