[Panel-devel] Panel issues in KDE4 (especially K3PanelApplet )

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 16:31:52 CET 2007

On November 18, 2007 23:12:05 Christian Esken wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I did a complete clean rebuild of KDE today for checking the "first run"
> user experience. The Panel is IMHO a a big issue at the moment (at least in
> my build). I'll list the issues I got:

trust me, we know already.

> There is a K-Button, the "Window list" and a Clock. The Window list, the
> Clock and cannot be customized (no context menu). Also the panel itself
> cannot be customized (position, height, ...). The Systray is at a Position

that's because the panel got broken recently. come back in a few days and it
should be a lot better.

> on the top of the screen, where it obscures the "top right" menu. See
> http://christian.esken.de/kde/pics/desktop-topright.png . IMHO we don't
> need to clutter around - the Systray should be contained in the Panel.

I fixed that yesterday. update your sources.

> Currently I cannot add anything to the Panel:
> Plasma applets cannot be directly added to the Panel. There is currently no
> context menu on the panel, so you cannot add applets or special buttons or

yes you can. drag&drop from the applet browser to the panel. except you might
not want to do that today because the panel's broken right now.

> applications or whatsoever. If you drag a Plasma Applet from the Desktop to
> the Panel it disappears under the Panel and is lost. K3PanelApplet is in

jpwhiting's been on irc today talking about his work on drag&drop between
panels. another thing that'll probably be working in a day or two.

> the KDE4 sources, but I don't find any way to add K3PanelApplet's to the
> Panel. For example the KMix panel applet is using it, it is also compiling
> and installing fine, but cannot be used. Has anybody an idea how to do
> this?

I don't quite know what k3panelapplet is, but it really sounds like something
that would depend on the dead kicker, because right now there is absolutely
no way kde3 panel applets could be put on the plasma panel. it's flat-out
impossible. I don't know whether it will be impossible forever, though.

I'm 99% sure that this k3panelapplet class is some remnant of the old kicker
that really should be gotten rid of unless someone's planning to work some
magic to make it into something actually usable.

--
This message brought to you by evyl bananas, and the number 3.
www.chani3.com