[Panel-devel] Panel issues in KDE4 (especially K3PanelApplet )

Christian Esken esken at kde.org
Sun Nov 18 16:12:05 CET 2007

Hello,

I did a complete clean rebuild of KDE today for checking the "first run" user experience. The Panel is IMHO a a big issue at the moment (at least in my build). I'll list the issues I got:

There is a K-Button, the "Window list" and a Clock. The Window list, the Clock and cannot be customized (no context menu). Also the panel itself cannot be customized (position, height, ...).
The Systray is at a Position on the top of the screen, where it obscures the "top right" menu. See http://christian.esken.de/kde/pics/desktop-topright.png . IMHO we don't need to clutter around - the Systray should be contained in the Panel.

Currently I cannot add anything to the Panel:
Plasma applets cannot be directly added to the Panel. There is currently no context menu on the panel, so you cannot add applets or special buttons or applications or whatsoever.
If you drag a Plasma Applet from the Desktop to the Panel it disappears under the Panel and is lost.
K3PanelApplet is in the KDE4 sources, but I don't find any way to add K3PanelApplet's to the Panel. For example the KMix panel applet is using it, it is also compiling and installing fine, but cannot be used. Has anybody an idea how to do this?

  Christian