[Panel-devel] kalming kickoff

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Nov 12 19:58:44 CET 2007

On Monday 12 November 2007, Robert Knight wrote:
> > i was not happy with your first reversion, i gave ample warning of
> > exactly what i was going to do and understood we were in agreement for
> > "something better eventually" so committing something that was not in
> > line with that without discussion is not acceptable.
>
> Firstly, I must re-state is that the item appearance on hover is now
> Dolphin-esque as we originally agreed.  I accept that I should have
> contacted you before reverting your change initially rather than the
> other way around.  However, when I did contact you, I gave clear
> reasons for reverting to the previous code - and as the maintainer it
> is my prerogative to do so.  However, you then proceeded to
> re-implement your change again without mentioning it in the commit log
> or CCing me or panel-devel (either would have been acceptable).  ( rv.
> #733972 "lots of code no longer necessary as applets can usually just
> ignore the whole background thin" ).  This is most certainly not
> acceptable.

actually, my friend, i did say i was going to do this. on the 30th of last
month in an email titled "kickoff delegate painting". you need to learn to
work with others in this project, because you seem to have the mistaken
concept that you have final say on the look and feel of kickoff as
the "maintainer". well, you don't. you have a say in it with the rest of us.
if it was some component in extragear or elsewhere, i wouldn't care. but as
it is a default component, you can bet your bottom dollar that i'll have a
say in the look 'n feel dpt.

i think it's rediculous that you reverted something back to a temporary state
rather than work on other very real issues.

i've worked in accordance with your wishes, e.g. post patches, communicate
more clearly, etc... i'm not seeing the same from you and i've had it with
that behaviour.

> > heh.. you're committing my patches? .. interesting, and thanks for the
> > conflicts that will ensue.
>
> Not exactly.  In several cases I refactored existing code (outside of
> the patch) in the process and then committed modified versions of the
> code from the patch.  Some parts of your patch (such as the launcher
> border) need changes or further discussion first.

then discuss it or suggest changes. but don't go and commit patches i'm
working on without any heads up whatsoever because that creates conflicts for
me. it wastes my time. and your patches are incorrect in some places. maybe
you should post them for review, hm?

you may notice that i get people to commit their own patches? guess why.
because it is:

a) respectful of the person's contribution
b) ensures i don't make more work than necessary for them by causing conflicts

when something needs changing, i comment on it on the list. try doing that.

> > such as right now it still thinks it "THE_BOTHERSOME_MAN"
> > even though I haven't had that DVD
>
> Possibly a bug in Solid or HAL?

see discussion in this thread with kevin about this topic.