[Panel-devel] kalming kickoff

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Mon Nov 12 17:57:02 CET 2007

Le lundi 12 novembre 2007, Aaron J. Seigo a écrit :
> > I would recommend using the volume name by default, simply because it
> > is usually a more friendly string to look at,
>
> the issue is that on many systems what we'll get is: Volume (ext3) for each
> disk, including USB discs. perhaps this is one for the Solid folks,
> since "Volume" as a product title is pretty ... unhelpful?

Actually if it has no label you can hardly display something better
than "Volume (fsType)". :-)
Now this string is not forged by us, we get it from HAL.

> The name information (e.g. "ROB'S iPod") it still shown in the subtext, of
> course.
>
> >  but by all means, add a preference to show the path instead.
>
> i'm not a huge fan of the "just make it configurable" approach when
> avoidable.

Exactly, in fact using the path probably makes sense for non removable, non
hotpluggable devices for a start. One can easily get this information by
using the StorageDrive interface on the parent device of a StorageVolume.

(StorageDrive has such hotpluggable and removable properties)

Regards.
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."