[Panel-devel] kalming kickoff

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Nov 12 17:36:02 CET 2007

On Monday 12 November 2007, Robert Knight wrote:
> > - swap the path with the product name in the My Computer view (not 100%
> > sure i like this one yet, though it does give me more info =)
>
> I think that will depend on an individual user's storage setup as to
> whether the volume name or the path is more useful.
>
> On my setup, using the volume name is more useful (eg. "ROB's iPod
> instead of '/media/xyz0" , "Ubuntu 7.10" instead of '/media/cdrom0')
> but I can quite imagine it will be the other way round on yours.

It works for the CD device ... when it has a lable. Interestingly this has
some subtle bugs, such as right now it still thinks it "THE_BOTHERSOME_MAN"
even though I haven't had that DVD in the tray for 2 weeks now (and had
several others since).

> I would recommend using the volume name by default, simply because it
> is usually a more friendly string to look at,

the issue is that on many systems what we'll get is: Volume (ext3) for each
disk, including USB discs. perhaps this is one for the Solid folks,
since "Volume" as a product title is pretty ... unhelpful?

The name information (e.g. "ROB'S iPod") it still shown in the subtext, of
course.

>  but by all means, add a preference to show the path instead.

i'm not a huge fan of the "just make it configurable" approach when avoidable.

> Equally, I think it likely that
> some users would prefer to see the actual application name instead of
> the generic name in the applications view.  Although the generic name
> is a good default choice for new users.

yes, we had this option in kde3 as well ...