[Panel-devel] Panel-devel Digest, Vol 31, Issue 19

Henry Stanaland stanaland at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 10:09:50 CET 2007

> Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 19:25:08 +0000
> From: "Robert Knight" <robertknight at gmail.com>
>
> Hi,
>
> Something that strike me on my recent travel to Boston - finding the
> appropriate time zone in an unfamiliar city is not very easy in KDE 3.
>  Is it possible to determine this information using an available
> internet connection (in a hotel or conference venue for example)?
>
> Regards,
> Robert.

This may be somewhat off topic and I don't know the status of it,
but www.freedesktop.org has a D-Bus API called GeoClue that
can get your location via different backends (i.e. GPS or IP address).
One of the proposed uses is for setting the timezone automatically:
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/GeoClue

Also, we need a timezone map widget like Gnome has had for years:
http://www.ubuntu.com/include/testing/flight6/espresso3-small.png

Can Marble help here??

Regards,
Henry Stanaland