[Panel-devel] kalming kickoff

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Nov 12 07:44:45 CET 2007

hi..

didn't feel like working on anything too technical tonight, so started working
on kickoff[1] look 'n feel stuff that had been accumulating during my usage
of it recently.

the big thing i kept noticing was that it was visually very busy in some
places ... and in others it was conspicuously quiet.

the attached patch does a number of things, including:

- draw a border around the whole menu
- lighten the icons of non-hovered items
- only paint subtitle text when the item is highlighted
- lighten device usage meters when not highlighted
- increasing the spacing between items just a bit so we get some separation
between items (the applications view can still get a little screwed up in
that regard unfortunately)
- don't assume font heights quite so much
- vertically align all item main text even if they don't have subtexts
- add subtexts to some places that were missing them (e.g. Network Folders)
- improve subtexts in some cases on the My Computer view
- swap the path with the product name in the My Computer view (not 100% sure i
like this one yet, though it does give me more info =)
- don't show items in the My Computer view that aren't mounted (clicking on
them did nothing anyways)
- vertically top align visual items such as usage meters and submenu arrows
(they were vertically centered previously)
- adds a title to the context menu

i'm a lot more happy with the menu now as it feels like it isn't assaulting my
senses quite so much. it also addresses some of the usability issues[2] which
makes me even more happy about it.

i haven't cleaned the patch completely as i normally do before committing,
since .. well .. i do that before committing usually ;)

feedback desired.

[1] that was when i noticed that the drawing of items was back to the fugly
rectangle drawing. not sure what part of "we're not going to use that until
we have something proper" was hard to understand. well, actually, i assume it
was understood but also ignord.

i do consider myself to have a say in default plasma components and am really
not interested in a design-by-committee approach. i'm open to all input and a
lot of experimentation, though at the same time i'm not going to put up
kindly with svn commit revert wars.

[2] versus hack around them