[Panel-devel] Facebook Plasma Engine and applet

Will Stephenson wstephenson at kde.org
Wed Jun 20 09:23:17 CEST 2007

On Wednesday 20 June 2007 00:59:53 Robert Knight wrote:
> Firstly, thanks for making this.  Facebook is a great tool and having
> access to it on the desktop could be very useful.
>
> I wasn't able to get the applet showing though.  I created by own
> application on Facebook and got the relevant keys for it and pasted them
> into version.h.  Each time I run the application Konqueror is spawned and
> Facebook asks for me to login to use the application, which I do and then
> get the "Under Construction" page.

I had the Facebook application type set to 'website', because there was
something funky with the auth sequence when using 'desktop'.  If you do this,
remember to set the callback URL, then you don't get the "Under Construction
page".  I'm trying to fix the 'desktop' auth routine now, but for some reason
the server does not return a secret which must be used to 'sign' session
requests, which is rather boring.

Are you seeing a 'secret' in the debug output to auth.getSession?

> Any hints?  Either that or post the developer / secret key you have been
> using.  I understand that you are concerned about something in the ToS, but
> Facebook are a company of open source advocates, the risk of you or anyone
> getting into trouble seems very low.

I discussed the problem of necessarily disclosing the key when using desktop
apps with one of their employees.  They admit that Even a closed source app
not really protect the key, but they are having some internal discussion
about how to proceed, so I don't really want to jump the gun.

Will

--
Will Stephenson
IRC: Bille