[Panel-devel] engines, animators, oh my

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Jun 10 18:02:34 CEST 2007

On Sunday 10 June 2007, Michael Olbrich wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 10, 2007 at 02:11:15AM -0600, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > >
> > > This brought me to thinking about what the user should do in order to
> > > save power on a laptop, i.e. suspend all/some plasmoids. Is there a
> > > general "pause"-button or does the user have to disable each plasmoid
> > > and re-enable them when having the laptop plugged in again?
> >
> > this assumes that plasmoids draw large amounts power when the desktop is
> > otherwise sitting idle. if that's true, we're doing something very wrong.
>
> How about sharing timers? I can easily imagine 10-20 engines with 1s
> timeout. That could reduce the number of wakeups significantly.

yes, we may possibly want to share timers, but i don't think we have a good
enough idea of what the system will look like to start designing such a
system. it's one thing to say "share timers between engines" but quite
another to actually implement it. there's a couple different ways it could be
done that i can think of off the top of my head, and each one has strengths
and weaknesses depending on what sort of use cases arise.

> And maybe a global power saving mode.

we're not there yet. it's not realistically feasible to figure out what is
needed in practice here.

let's try and work on getting things to the point where we can start
researching this.

> For a lot of data engines (e.g. for stuff from /proc or /sys) the update
> rate is rather arbitrary and may be different for different applets. I
> don't think the current api can really handle this.

this is actually one of the primary reasons for DataEngines: applets -share-
the data aquisition, which allows data aquisition to be synchronized. the
DataEngine pushes updates out, applets should not be pulling updates on their
own. for applets sharing DataEngines, there is no concept of "different
update ticks"