[Panel-devel] engines, animators, oh my

Michael Olbrich michael-olbrich at web.de
Sun Jun 10 11:31:04 CEST 2007

On Sun, Jun 10, 2007 at 02:11:15AM -0600, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Sunday 10 June 2007, Sven Burmeister wrote:
> > On Sonntag, 10. Juni 2007, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > >  - to update TimeEngine every second or just every minute
> >
> > This brought me to thinking about what the user should do in order to save
> > power on a laptop, i.e. suspend all/some plasmoids. Is there a
> > general "pause"-button or does the user have to disable each plasmoid and
> > re-enable them when having the laptop plugged in again?
>
> this assumes that plasmoids draw large amounts power when the desktop is
> otherwise sitting idle. if that's true, we're doing something very wrong.

How about sharing timers? I can easily imagine 10-20 engines with 1s timeout.
That could reduce the number of wakeups significantly.

And maybe a global power saving mode. When enabled reduce the number of
updates of cpu utilization and network traffic diagrams and disable
seconds in clocks etc.

For a lot of data engines (e.g. for stuff from /proc or /sys) the update
rate is rather arbitrary and may be different for different applets. I
don't think the current api can really handle this.

michael