[Panel-devel] KDE/kdebase/workspace/libs/plasma

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Jul 29 06:11:58 CEST 2007

On Saturday 28 July 2007, Thomas Georgiou wrote:
> SVN commit 693787 by tgeorgiou:
>
> Add dynamic shadows to standard background.
> Color the shadows instead of a roundrect when zoomed out.
> Actually paint the applet when zoomed out.

there was a reason that code #if 0'd out. i believe i mentioned on irc that
the plan is to do this in a separate QGraphicsItem that can provide the
shadow/blur/etc.

if you notice, the shadow cuts off at the bottom and sides and looks ..
well .. horrible. the top of the shadow looks nice in comparison: because it
doesn't get cut off. if we paint outside of boundingRect() (which we ned to
to get the shadow properly) we'll end up with painting artifacts as things
get dragged around. to make things even more interesting, shadow is waaay too
big.

the qimage<->qpixmap conversions are also going to kill performance.

so please revert this or at the very least #if 0 it out.

also, you checked in shadowblur.cpp in the wrong place. do a
`find . -name '*blur'` in libs/plasma to figure out where it should have
gone.

finally, my understanding was that you wanted to colourize the background of
icons when zoomed out. well, instead you keep the interface being painted so
there is no iconification of the items ... which is not the design as stated,
desired or previously implemented. so .. yeah. you introduced shadowing that
was removed for reasons i've explained both here and elsewhere and you
altered the entire point of zooming.

please, please, please pass patches to libplasma by panel-devel at kde.org if i
am not around to review them on irc. nobody will get hurt by waiting a few
extra hours or even a day for a Really Cool Thing(tm), while i am getting
tired of having to deal with incorrect commits to the library.