[Panel-devel] CMake 2.4.7, soversion

Alex Merry huntedhacker at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Jul 23 19:05:23 CEST 2007

As far as I can see, CMake 2.4.6 and earlier ignore the SOVERSION
property as applied to modules (like when you use kde4_add_plugin).  So
using
set_target_properties(plasma_applet_clock PROPERTIES VERSION 1.0.0
SOVERSION 1)
has no effect, and plasma_applet_clock.so will be the only file
installed, and will be a real file.

However, CMake 2.4.7 now takes notice of this property, but does it
wrong.  It creates the symlink, but doesn't install the real file.  So
the clock applet will install plasma_applet_clock.so, a symlink
pointing to plasma_applet_clock.so.1.0.0.  Which doesn't exist.

Unsurprisingly, this breaks plasma.

This is a cmake bug.  However, given that soversions have never
supported for plugins in cmake, I think we should remove the soversion
property lines from all the applet CMakeLists.txt (none of the engines
set the soversion) as a workaround for now.  I'm report this as a bug
in CMake as well.

Patches attached.

Alex

--