[Panel-devel] KCategorizedItemsView for Plasma Applet Browser in SVN

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Jul 22 22:18:05 CEST 2007

On Sunday 22 July 2007, Ivan Čukić wrote:
> It takes a bit more space (ok, a lot more space - approx 20%) but it has a
> greater usability. As I've already mentioned, I didn't even notice the
> drop-down in the current kicker's add applet dialog.

here's more counterpoints =)

with the two lists seperated, it means having to keep in mind both the
category picked and the filter. i just had an odd "what?" experience when i
picked "recommended" expecting something to come up and nothing did... then i
remembered i had selected a category too... heh. with the search box it's a 3
parameter filtering system which is at least one two many, particularly since
the filters and categories are both categorical in nature (meaning they have
a natural overlap in form and purpose)

so... how to fix the drop down not being visible enough. perhaps making it
bigger; or having an icon next to it so that it stands out more... perhaps we
could experiment with the positioning of it as well. e.g. put it in front of
the search line?

also a bit more on the view and delegate; it would be Really Nice(tm) if it
would:

- paint the categories in the view
- show little icons for recommended, used, etc... a bit like the rating stars
in the get hot new stuff dialog