[Panel-devel] [Announce] FileBrowser data engine for plasma

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Jul 11 18:26:11 CEST 2007

On Wednesday 11 July 2007, Sven Burmeister wrote:
> Hello!
>
> On Mittwoch, 11. Juli 2007, Ivan Čukić wrote:
> > I'm asking this because the current 3.5.x dialog for adding applets to
> > panel is almost completely useless if you do not know exactly what you
> > are searching for, and it has less than 40 items on my system.

this is another discussion i had at akademy with people ... =) and yes, we
should be doing that. the issues to be solved are:

- creating a "registry" of known categories
- adding Categories= entries to the .desktop files
- listening to them when creating

all are straightforward and pretty easy to do. any takers?

> I fully agree that there should be a better solution and by default a
> bigger window. :)

that's the idea of the desktop toolbox that comes sliding out of the top left
(right now). the toolbox needs a lot of work, in particular:

- it needs to be made pretty
- it needs to have most of the current options removed (they are just
developer conveniences, e.g. the form factors drop down)
- it needs to have a proper listing of applets; i'd suggest borrowing the one
from the current kicker applet dialog in svn which uses a model/view approach

> How does the user get/start a plasmoid off the web? If the user has to
> first install and then run it from the dialogue mentioned above, it might
> be sensible to have a "new plasmoids"-category too.

yes, we'll need a way to let them launch the get hot new stuff dialog. GHNS
integration has not even begun yet, as scripting isn't in place and the
plasmagik Package class is there but not used in working with applet
resources.

again, people are sort of trying to work on the stuff at the top of the pile
(interface to applets) before the few layers below that have been worked on
(and few if any seem to be interested in working on those).