[Panel-devel] Plasma: Proposing some changes (for Aaron mostly)

Ivan Čukić ivan.cukic+kde at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 11:05:56 CEST 2007

Maybe I do not see the whole picture, and I'm missing something that already
exists but here it goes:

1. Add a function for resetting all data for Plasma::DataSource
Since the file/directory watching engine I'm working on needs to pass
different sets of data for files and for directories, I need to reset the
data that was set earlier. DataSource has data() function but it can not be
used to change the data since it returns a const DataEngine::Data. I could
override it by getting the list of set values and resetting them, but it
would be slower than just being able to call the clear() method of QHash
(DataEngine::Data)

2. Possible background issues
If the designer of the "standard background" wants to add some fancy border to
it, the thickness of that border would be different for differently sized
applets. Even more, if an applet is 400px wide and 200px high, the side
borders would be twice as thick as the top and bottom borders which would
look ugly.

3. Applets to register for certain mimetypes
I didn't find this in the docs so I suppose that it doesn't exist. :) I think
it would be a good thing to have the ability to set acceptable mimetypes for
applets so when a user drops a file on the desktop, the plasma would know
which applet to load to display that file. If there are multiple choices, a
menu could be shown.

'Nuf said for the moment, cheers
Ivan

--