[Panel-devel] Kpanel replacement -- Container much like the Dock. More.

Sven Burmeister sven.burmeister at gmx.net
Tue Jul 3 23:36:24 CEST 2007

Hi!

On Sonntag, 1. Juli 2007, James Smith wrote:
> I can envision a knotify daemon plasmoid that sits in the container and can
> be used to scroll through the notification history. This would in concept
> replace the tasktray for notifications. One icon with a middle-wheel
> scroll-through ala amarok and a single click to open up a history list. I'd
> program the osd in plasma to allow custom actions for the future, for
> example in the form of system daemon notifications. For postfix for
> example, a daemon failure could be parsed with a knotify plugin module via
> dbus to allow a daemon restart on failure or to open a terminal window
> displaying log entries. For a new instant message, the default behavior
> on-click would be to open a chat window, while for k3b a) on a disk burn
> failure focus k3b or b) on a perfect burn default would be to close the
> notification.

I think this sounds really fantastic. The user could drag the plasmoid
wherever one likes to have the notifications, i.e. the plasmoid coming to the
top and fading back to the desktop after a few seconds. It would also allow
eye-candy like a big animated icon while burning with k3b, kmix or playing
songs with amarok, yet only small ones for things like kgpg or klipper. The
icon for amarok could have several actions on it while hovering, like skip,
play and stop and show the album-cover and elapsed time otherwise.

Sven