[Panel-devel] icons, files and the desktop

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Dec 21 09:53:45 CET 2007

On Friday 21 December 2007, Sven Burmeister wrote:
> on the desktop, I expect plasma to be smart enough to check whether the
> mime-type fits to a plasmoid.

yes, of course we already do this.

> As an example, if I drop a picture or several
> of them, they should become a picture-frame plasmoid, including sideshow in
> case of the latter.

this will take some use case research to figure out "best" practices. it may
even make sense to offer various choices, so if you drop an image you get to
choose between an icon shortcut or a picture frame or .. whatever. which
reminds me, the picture frame could/should allow openning the image by
clicking on it or some bit of UI? i think we will eventually need the ability
for plasmoids to add actions somewhere on the hover handle.

> With desktop/recently used/favourite apps-applet enabled, i.e. the files
> from ~Desktop are displayed as group somewhere on the desktop:
> - File dropped on that group/applet -> it gets added
> - File that has a matching mime-type and is dropped outside that group ->
> put into the matching plasmoid
> - File without matching mime-type dropped outside the group -> gets added
> to the group.

sounds about perfect to me =)