[Panel-devel] icons, files and the desktop

Sven Burmeister sven.burmeister at gmx.net
Fri Dec 21 09:32:43 CET 2007

On Donnerstag, 20. Dezember 2007, Chani wrote:
> then there's drag&drop:
> -when a file is dragged onto plasma in general, make an icon

I don't agree with this, because IMHO it is not coherent plasma's idea of
giving users a new desktop experience. If I drop a file or several of them on
the desktop, I expect plasma to be smart enough to check whether the
mime-type fits to a plasmoid. As an example, if I drop a picture or several
of them, they should become a picture-frame plasmoid, including sideshow in
case of the latter.

Since I hope that having icons as such on the desktop will not become default,
i.e. I would prefer plasmoids (e.g. recently used docs/apps, ~/Desktop etc.)
that contain them, there is not even the need to ask whether the user wants a
plasmoid generated or an icon created. This matches Chani's idea.

So at the current state of my thought dropping a file would work like this.

With desktop/recently used/favourite apps-applet enabled, i.e. the files from
~Desktop are displayed as group somewhere on the desktop:
- File dropped on that group/applet -> it gets added
- File that has a matching mime-type and is dropped outside that group -> put
into the matching plasmoid
- File without matching mime-type dropped outside the group -> gets added to
the group.

Without any file-group plasmoid enabled, files that don't have a to a plasmoid
matching mime-type get added as buttons. Alternatively this could simply
trigger the ~Desktop applet. If they match a plasmoid, it is created and the
files used for it.

Although I do not like the idea, one could introduce different behaviours on
pressing CTRL, ALT, SHIFT while dropping or create a function that reduces a
plasmoid to a file, i.e. a picture-frame would become the picture-file it
displays.

Sven