[Panel-devel] the wiki needs some love

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 18:51:00 CET 2007

On December 18, 2007 00:01:51 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Monday 17 December 2007, Chani wrote:
> > I just had a look at http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Plasma/PIG and the
> > amount of blank space there saddens me.
> > if anyone has knowledge they can add to it, please do; it'll be nice to
> > have a place to point people to when we get common questions like "how do
> > I get notified when my plasmoid gets resized?" :)
>
> that should be in the plasma tutorials. one day it will be, i'm sure.

obviously I need to explore techbase more; I wasn't aware such a thing
existed :)

> > I've added what little I've seen mentioned of layouting stuff; if there's
> > anything wrong there please correct it. also, please forgive my horrible
> > lack of formatting.
>
> hm. the PIG page is not where this belongs, really. it should be added to
> the applet tutorial in the techbase tutorials section. the PIG is really
> for interface guidelines, not coding how tos.

ok... I'm not sure I fully understand what fits in what category, though. the
blurb at the top of the page mentioned how-tos, so it looked like the right
place to put stuff.

> > I'm still confused by the difference between size, sizehint, contentsize,
> > and contentsizehint - can anyone explain which one(s) should be set and
> > how?
>
> as an applet developer, you should always be using the content* methods.
>
> > I see resize and setSize being mentioned in posts here, but I thought
> > that setting those would not take into account the applet border...
>
> setContentSize does.

but.. then.. why would people be told to use resize()?

anyways, having glanced over that tutorial... the sizing stuff in it looks
strange.
however, I don't really get what the Right Way to do sizing is... so... I'm
going to ignore it for a few days and hope someone with more experience fixes
everything :)

--
This message brought to you by evyl bananas, and the number 3.
www.chani3.com