[Panel-devel] KDE/kdebase/workspace/plasma/applets/tasks

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Dec 17 02:31:56 CET 2007

On Sunday 16 December 2007, Jason Stubbs wrote:
> On Monday 17 December 2007 04:33:56 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Saturday 15 December 2007, Jason Stubbs wrote:
> > > SVN commit 748739 by jstubbs:
> > >
> > > Now that the super-long animation issue has been fixed, up the
> > > animation time on tasks so that it's actually noticable. ;)
> >
> > animations don't need to be noticeable to be useful. 1000ms is far too
> > long for an animation. it should be a quarter second at the most perhaps,
> > but the point of animation is not to dazzle the user and make them watch
> > the screen, but to provide non-jarring transitions between states.
>
> I had kDebug() going on repaints and there was only 2 or 3 frames shown and
> visibly it was very jerky.

kDebug() is not a great way to count these things due to the latency it itself
creates.

> On older Windows, the minimum interval for a
> timer interval is 50ms so QTimeLine is probably using that interval for its
> signals.

no, it's 40ms (25fps). you can also set it lower. in fact, this code should
not be using QTimeLine at all. it should be using Phase. that can, of course,
be done post 4.0, but it does need to get done at some point.

> So a quarter of a second = 250ms = 5 frames should be about right.

yes, should be good enough. remember, of course, that this is a best case
scenario, if there are other things happening that tie up the gui tread more
than 50ms frames will be skipped. not a big deal of course =)