[Panel-devel] Kickoff should require click to change tabs

Sven Burmeister sven.burmeister at gmx.net
Sun Dec 16 23:24:03 CET 2007

On Sonntag, 16. Dezember 2007, Brian Beck wrote:
> I've only been using KDE 4 full time for about a week, but I find I
> accidentally select a kickoff tab nearly everytime I click the K-Menu
> button.  Perhaps I do this because I haven't been using kickoff that long,
> and need to train myself not to let my mouse go over the tabs.

This I do not understand. The buttons are huge, so to miss them or leave them
by accident is hardly possible. So if you open kickoff and hover to some tab
you might hit the wrong one on your way to the right one, but that does not
matter because you do not loose any time or clicks.

The only way to accidentally change tabs I see is when one wants to click on
the last item/bottom item on a tab. This still seems unlikely because the
items in kickoff have a huge area to click on, so you would have to miss by
more than 20px starting at the top of the last item. It becomes even less
likely because the last item is scrolled up if it is not fully visible.

One cannot accidentally change tabs by hovering another one when moving up,
because if you do it at a reasonable speed, it will not be activated.

The only thing that really takes time with the current kickoff is that you
have to clear the search-field everytime and go back every single instance on
the applications-tab. The good thing for me though is, that I do not need
that tab anyway, because if you bump up your history to 10 items there will
hardly be any application you have to start from the applications-tab.

Sven