[Panel-devel] Kickoff should require click to change tabs

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Dec 16 21:10:16 CET 2007

On Sunday 16 December 2007, Sebastian Sauer wrote:
> Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Saturday 15 December 2007, James Smith wrote:
> >> Nothing against the way QT repaints and / or feedback happens for Plasma
> >> button elements, but Kickoff should offer a little more tactile
> >> feedback; ie tab changes require a click to bring into effect.
> >
> > why?
>
> to have an action perform (aka switch to the underlying tab) by just
> hovering with the mousepointer over it, does really not sound like the best
> way to deal with accessibility imho.

the accessibility group that would be impracted negatively would be those with
involuntary motor control. i hope they'd be using the keyboard controls in
this case anyways since the other targets are so small.

otherwise, from what i understand click interfaces often suck for
accessibility since it requires even more interaction (move, click) that we
able bodied people often taken for granted.

honestly, i think the a11y defense is mostly BS. there are two issues i hear:

1) accidental triggering. this is much better in kde4 than what was in kde3's
kickoff but can still happen. there is no "trough" between the view and the
buttons so it can be easy to stray into the buttons area. the real fix maybe
to add such a "dead" zone

2) it feels slower. well, it's not. it's actually faster, at least according
to the timings i've done.

so we have two reasons that get reported often enough, one of which is
perception but actually not factual, leaving us with one real issue that
probably has a real solution.

> Anyway, it was an option in
> kickoff at KDE3 and with my last commit r749156 we took that option over to
> kickoff at KDE4 :)

i sort of addressed this: do we want to have compat with kickoff at kde3's config
options? if "but it was in kde3 kickoff" is a valid reason, then every config
option in kde3 kickoff should be examined for legitimacy and addded.