[Panel-devel] Icons settings in the desktop config gui

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Dec 16 19:25:21 CET 2007

On Friday 14 December 2007, Christopher Blauvelt wrote:
>  It's not just about loading icons for files in ~/Desktop.  Icons have to
> be auto-placed upon creation, aligned to a grid if desired, etc.  If there
> are other applets that look and act like icons then the user will expect
> them to respond to these settings.  If they're not handled by IconLoader
> than what will handle them?

i think it may make sense to mark the ~/Desktop loaded icons in some way,
actually. it's a very un-plasma concept in general, and one we're keeping
purely for legacy support reasons.

they will always be somewhat hobbled in that they won't be able to follow all
the plasma concepts.

in 4.1 i'll be writing a folder browser plasmoid (again, unless i'm beaten to
it by someone else ;) that can be collapsed or expanded into a list on the
desktop. i'd like to migrate our user base towards such a thing.

(p.s. i wonder what happens when these icons get dragged from one desktop
containment to another?)