[Panel-devel] Kickoff menu items

Aurélien Gâteau aurelien.gateau at free.fr
Sun Dec 2 00:45:17 CET 2007

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> that would be correct; are you aware of the reasons for the design changes
> made? i really don't want to repeat them if you are aware of them, but if
> you aren't since you are continueing to work on this, i'd be happy to do
> so. actually, i see i owe you an email earlier in this thread. let me
> attend to that.

I fear trying to convince you about my proposal would fail and would be
quite time consuming for both of us (and you are a busy man :-) ). So I
won't try, there are other things I would like to improve in KDE. I just
would like to comment on your other message where you said:

> i'd also like to have something that looks a bit more modern and not
> so ... 1998.

As a UI expert, you probably had a look at the iPhone. I think you agree
with me that the flip scrollview in Kickoff behaves very much like the
iPhone (or the iPod for that matter) navigation system. The appearance of
the iPhone UI looks quite similar to my second proposal (complete with full
width square selections and multi-line texts). I won't claim what Apple do
is always perfect, but I think the iPhone UI is quite good, and definitly
not 1998-like.

In case you missed this part of the iPhone UI, have a look at this short
video:

http://movies.apple.com/movies/us/apple/iphone/2007/demos/apple_iphone_demos_ipod_20070926_r640-9cie.mov

This picture is interesting too:
http://www.theapplepress.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/iphone_menu_full.jpg