[Panel-devel] Kickoff menu items

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Dec 1 21:55:57 CET 2007

On Saturday 01 December 2007, Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> I played a bit more with Kickoff items yesterday night.

things i like:

- i agree that the icons probably should be painted with 100% opacity
- the gradient is nice, but again, i don't know how that will work with all
the other selections in kde (let alone plasma itself).

> - Keeps subtitles where they are but show them in a light color when not
> selected.

this was intentional. the information density gets very high with all that
text; the subtexts are supposed to be non-essential, after all, but rather
hints or additional information.

it also makes the pages look extremely busy visually, which is just another
reason to avoid it..

> - Apply gradient effect to the icon as well (a bit too flashy IMO).

i agree. it makes certain icons much more difficult to read.

> - Try to really use as much width as possible: it's not rounded anymore
> (still hackish).

why not rounded? i'm really not happy with hard edges.

>  I consider this a good thing but I guess others don't

that would be correct; are you aware of the reasons for the design changes
made? i really don't want to repeat them if you are aware of them, but if you
aren't since you are continueing to work on this, i'd be happy to do so.
actually, i see i owe you an email earlier in this thread. let me attend to
that.