[Panel-devel] RFC: release management strategy

Richard Moore richmoore44 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 13:43:39 CEST 2007

On 8/30/07, Kevin Ottens <ervin at kde.org> wrote:
> Le mercredi 29 août 2007, Aaron J. Seigo a écrit :
> > - we create extragear/plasma/ with subdirs for dataengines/, runners/,
> > applets/, plasmoids/, scriptengines/ and possibly animators/ (if any new
> > ones appear =). people move their own work as they want into
> > extragear/plasma/. plasmoids/ would house non-c++ packages. we will cover
> > which items to move over now at that irc meeting.
> >
> > - we create a place for sample applets; perhaps in extragear as well? e.g.
> > extragear/plasma/samples/ with all the subdirs under there? i don't want to
> > lose all the samples; i think they are valuable and should be maintained.
> > they shouldn't be installed, or shipped, by default but be there for
> > documentary and educational purposes.
>
> Maybe it's better to keep them along the plasma libraries then? As a developer
> I like to find the examples with the code of the library I'm about to use
> (phonon and solid follow this pattern).

I'd propose we provide a plasma-sdk package containing the sample
applets, copies of the docs, etc. all in one place. The docs would be
copies of the tutorials from techbase (which obviously we'll all be
working on updating/completing)... I think that releasing a separate
sdk would be a way to generate some positive PR for plasma and would
be useful to 3rd party developers who don't want to mess about with
our svn just to write a simple applet.

Cheers

Rich.