[Panel-devel] Desktop applet: remember icons positions

Matías Costa m.costacano at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 15:26:30 CEST 2007

On Saturday 11 August 2007 00:30:20 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Friday 10 August 2007, Matt Broadstone wrote:
> by "hacking around things" i meant things like:
>
> - being able to intersperse icons with widgets and have the geometry of
> them all handled properly
> - propagating events back to the proper view (which sucks because if we
> change *which* events we want to react to we also have to change the
> desktop applet) - draging icons from the desktop to panels (which otherwise
> would be already handled; think about how it will need to be done as it
> stands now) - consistent drag and drop reactions when things are dragged to
> the desktop applet vs the actual desktop

If exists already a URL applet witch gives for free all the stated above, and
in desktop we have the launcher with little code, then the logical is to
change. What about performance? does applets eats more memory than widgets?

A posible problem is the applet listing.

>[...]
> the desktop applet is there to show the icons across the whole, well,
> desktop. which is the point of corona. applets running full screen to
> spread things all around the desktop pretty much breaks most of the
> concepts here.
>
> i'm fine with having a way to show the contents of ~/Desktop (or whatever)
> on the full screen as i know we need this for certain use cases (e.g.
> legacy user support, people who simply like this mechanism, etc), but it
> should be done _right_. done right isn't trying to reimplement what Corona
> is. done right isn't changing the semantics of the interface.

Good point. In the first place I believed the icon functionality was going to
be built-in into plasma. Another problem with a fullscreen applet is that
wherever you click appears the desktop applet menu.

>[...]
> > >... the double click setting check should probably
> > > be moved into icon
> >
> > Yeah I agree, this should probably be put in some sort of
> > AbstractButton widget (emulating QAbstractButton in Qt API), as its
> > needed for RadioButton, PushButton, and Icon.
>
> it's only needed for icon. radio and push buttons don't differentiate
> between single and double click as there isn't a separation between
> selection and press. but otherwise.. yeah.

Already exists the MouseDoubleClick event So... what about a MouseClickEvent
in Widget?

> yes, i understand what "The Desktop" is. it's not that i don't get the
> concept, it's that the concept is fundamentally broken. it's based on the
> concept that the best we can do is show the contents of a location on disk.
> i agree it's a simple solution, but it's also one that is hugely limiting.
> (as i've explained both in this thread and in various presentations over
> the last 2 years)

We "show the contents of a location on disk" but also we do a lot more. People
really likes to have documents on the desktop, and many people even orders
them. Other people loves to download everything to the desktop, and firefox
does this by default. So let's do it right. In this question we agree.

PD: I leave for holiday. I'll be back on 5 days.