[Panel-devel] Crashing plasma

Vlad Blanton vblanton at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 19:02:01 CEST 2007

On Wed, 2007-08-08 at 04:12 -0600, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 August 2007, Sven Burmeister wrote:
> > Hi!

Hello, jumping into the discussion...

> > On Dienstag, 7. August 2007, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > > backtrace? patch?
> >
> > As I said I use the opensuse packages, so there is not useful backtrace.
> > Lack of user ability prevents any patches.
>
> arg. they haven't included debug packages for a beta release?! no, they must.
> try looking for -debug packages?
>
> > Is there a way to provide a "start plasma" button if plasma is not running?
>
> where would it live?

Here are a few ideas:

a. Perhaps it should slide into view on the main desktop if it detects
that plasma isn't running anymore?

b. Perhaps it can sit behind plasma somehow so that when/if plasma dies,
it automatically becomes accessible.

c. If somewhere in System Settings there is a plasma config page, it
could display something along the lines of:

"Plasma is currently not running, please click this button to start it
up"

BUT, if plasma isn't running, then there will be absolutely no way to
start system settings, so that probably isn't an option.

Vlad