[Panel-devel] Crashing plasma

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Aug 7 13:30:01 CEST 2007

On Tuesday 07 August 2007, Sven Burmeister wrote:
> Because it is still beta and maybe even because of me using packages
> provided by opensuse rather than SVN, some applets, e.g. the picture-frame
> crash plasma, i.e. when double-clicking them the background disappears and
> plasma is restarted.

backtrace? patch?

> Since this is still beta it is nothing surprising. Yet it lead me to the
> question whether the final release will also "allow" applets to crash the
> whole plasma, i.e. restart the whole desktop?

there is no way around that without introducing other suckages, however. i
will not go the xembed route, for instance.

encouraging scripted solutions will help a *lot* however.

> Also, if one crashes plasma a few times it is  not restarted again which
> would be bad for final release since users might not necessarily know how
> to restart plasma manually. So is the latter a bug, or known issue and
> restarting will succeed 100% in the final release?

it should restart as long as crashes are more than 2(? iirc) minutes apart. if
it doesn't, then it's a bug. the reason for this is to prevent repeating
crashes from locking up the system in a constant loop. the time between
installing the crash handler that does the restart can probably be lowered to
30s or so, however.

i also need to implement a similar system i did for kicker where
known-to-crash applets are put on a blacklist...