[Panel-devel] Adding multiple applets at once (mainly for Aaron)

Ivan Čukić ivan.cukic+kde at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 11:07:34 CEST 2007

> i'd also like to help with getting dragging to show the actual applet(s)
> that will be created... much like how designer does it.. though i think
> we'll have to fake the dataengines in that case because they can take too
> long in this case..
It is not only the slowness of the DA, but also of the applet loading.

I've been playing with it for a while, and there are several problems:

- Picture frame, aKademy Group Photo do not need (i think) data engines, and
still they are painfully slow to load (slower than loading of all data
engines alltogether) - and untill the applet is loaded, plasma is locked, and
dropping is disabled.

- File Watcher applet shows a configuration dialog when placed onto the
desktop so the moment we create it (so that it can be dragged around), the
dialog pops in.

- If we fake the data engine (which is not sufficient as seen above) some
applets like the Desktop applet will not be able to layout themselves, so the
purpose of dragging the applet would be lost.

- If the user drags the applet from one part of the desktop to another, and in
between goes over some non-plasma window, the applet would be destroyed and
again created.

- This one is about implementation problems - sending a mouse down event to
corona does not lock the applet to the mouse, so in the test implementation I
had to do 'manual' dragging.

Cheers!

--
There is a better way of life and it's not so hard to find
If you live and let the people in your world speak its mind