[Panel-devel] application menu and "utilities"

Riccardo Iaconelli ruphy at fsfe.org
Fri Oct 13 21:24:47 CEST 2006

Alle 15:28, giovedì 12 ottobre 2006, Florian Merz ha scritto:

> > > and if someone installs it from extragear? how do we show it in the
> > > kmenu?
> >
> > nooooooooo... kregexpeditor is sooo useful to newbies...
> > If they need to create a regular expression for whatever reason,
> > kregexpeditor is a really powerful gui that helps to do so.
>
> You got any examples for those reasons?
Yes, for example an user that needs to add a filter in kmail.
And for the rest Michaël has already answered IMO

> And please don't forget that putting it in extragear is not the same as
> dropping it. I don't think a user who can't install packages with his
> distributions package manager will need regular expression.
[snip]
> > My thought?
> > Just keep the utilities menu, and split it into several, defined, and
> > smart categories, but not like we already do with kmenu submenus (like
> > office, or graphics, or so), but _REALLY_ trying to represent what the
> > user wants to do when (s)he use them. We can also create more, and
> > non-standard categories, and be more "liberal" managing them.
> >
> > Just try not to answer the question "What use is my app designed for?"
> > (office, development, etc..) but more "When users needs to use my app?"
> > (E.g. when (s)he will use kjobviewer, is because is trying to "debug"
> > some kind of hardwawre problems). So put it in some submenu of the
> > "Utilities" submenu called "harware issues" or something.
>
> IMHO KDE shouldn't add more depth to the utilities menu but reduce its
> size.
Adding more defined and clear categories, is not increasing the size of that
menu. It's just better organizing it, as well as reduce its depth putting
more entries in one single category (that are not existent ATM if not just in
a minimal part).

> > And _avoid_ a "Various"category in that submenu.
>
> Mmh, right now the utilities menu feels already a bit like a "Various"
> category.
Infact. We must avoid to create a various category into another various
category. There is enough "space" in the kmenu just for one "various"
category (the utilities submenu), if you put something in the "utilities"
section, just find a suitable category. I was meaning: "Don't put a various
subsection in the utilities section". That's why I said "in that submenu".

Perhaps we can also merge a great part of the "System" menu, that right now is
quite a mess. Applications like KPerformanceMonitor feels much more more like
utilities than application on their own (like Konsole).

Anyway, here I'm answering to Aaron too, I cannot make a general proposal,
each program and each case should be examinated on its own.

-Riccardo
--
GPG key:
3D0F6376