[Panel-devel] mini-kcharselect

brian.beck at mchsi.com brian.beck at mchsi.com
Thu Oct 12 20:20:39 CEST 2006

Hello,
I think it would be nice to have a mini kcharselect available at any moment in
the new KDE.  I would imagine it could work like so, as you're typing you
realize that you need to use some characters that are not on your keyboard, so
you press a series of keys (e.g. Ctrl+Shift+K), a small widget would appear
allowing you to enter the code point of the character you wanted to enter.
The widget would also include a way of getting to the full kcharselect if a
person needed to browse in order to find the character they are looking for.

I've attached an image that will hopefully describe better what I mean.  The
text area is where you could type the code point, the glyph to the right is
the result of the code point (I just made up a number for the picture), then
to the right of the glyph location would be a button to open up the complete
character browser.

It would be nice if this was a desktop feature so that no matter what
application one was using easy access to characters would be available.

I dunno, is this a loopy idea, does something like this already exist, am I
the only person that would like something like this?

Cheers,
Brian