[Panel-devel] application menu and "utilities"

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Oct 12 16:38:34 CEST 2006

On Thursday 12 October 2006 6:13, Riccardo Iaconelli wrote:
> KJobViewer is quite useful on its own, and should be kept accessible also
> by the kmenu.

use case?

> > > - kregexpeditor - edit regular expressions
> > > move to extragear, though it's fine in the utilities menu
> >
> > and if someone installs it from extragear? how do we show it in the
> > kmenu?
>
> nooooooooo... kregexpeditor is sooo useful to newbies...

heh. "regular expression" and "newbie" in the same sentence =)

> If they need to create a regular expression for whatever reason,
> kregexpeditor is a really powerful gui that helps to do so.

... which can be launched from the app within which they are making the RE? i
just really don't see the general use case for a stand-alone gui RE editor.

> [snip]
>
> >> It seems to me like there is no need to create a new menu/place/thing to
> >> hold and manage these utilities. Most of them showed up in the utilities
> >> menu because programmers didn't realize the right way to do it or the
> >> right way just didn't exist when the program was created.
>
> Please, if you want to remove functionality just for the sake of
> simplicity, just use gnome, they've already did :P

let's not get dramatic. =P

> My thought?
> Just keep the utilities menu, and split it into several, defined, and smart
> categories, but not like we already do with kmenu submenus (like office, or
> graphics, or so), but _REALLY_ trying to represent what the user wants to
> do when (s)he use them. We can also create more, and non-standard
> categories, and be more "liberal" managing them.

concrete proposal?

> Just try not to answer the question "What use is my app designed for?"
> (office, development, etc..) but more "When users needs to use my app?"
> (E.g. when (s)he will use kjobviewer, is because is trying to "debug" some
> kind of hardwawre problems). So put it in some submenu of the "Utilities"
> submenu called "harware issues" or something.

this sound a lot like the kcontrol juggling of past years.