[Panel-devel] application menu and "utilities"

Riccardo Iaconelli ruphy at fsfe.org
Thu Oct 12 14:13:11 CEST 2006

Alle 05:06, martedì 10 ottobre 2006, Aaron J. Seigo ha scritto:
> > - kfloppy, kjobviewer, kfontview
> > make them reachable by context menu only. (right click on the floppy,
> > font or printer)
>
> this could work.
No, no and no. :P
KJobViewer is quite useful on its own, and should be kept accessible also by
the kmenu. I can agree on kfontview, and partially on kfloppy.

[snip]
> > - kregexpeditor - edit regular expressions
> > move to extragear, though it's fine in the utilities menu
>
> and if someone installs it from extragear? how do we show it in the kmenu?
nooooooooo... kregexpeditor is sooo useful to newbies...
If they need to create a regular expression for whatever reason, kregexpeditor
is a really powerful gui that helps to do so.

[snip]
>> It seems to me like there is no need to create a new menu/place/thing to
>> hold and manage these utilities. Most of them showed up in the utilities
>> menu because programmers didn't realize the right way to do it or the right
>> way just didn't exist when the program was created.
Please, if you want to remove functionality just for the sake of simplicity,
just use gnome, they've already did :P

My thought?
Just keep the utilities menu, and split it into several, defined, and smart
categories, but not like we already do with kmenu submenus (like office, or
graphics, or so), but _REALLY_ trying to represent what the user wants to do
when (s)he use them. We can also create more, and non-standard categories,
and be more "liberal" managing them.

Just try not to answer the question "What use is my app designed for?"
(office, development, etc..) but more "When users needs to use my app?" (E.g.
when (s)he will use kjobviewer, is because is trying to "debug" some kind of
hardwawre problems). So put it in some submenu of the "Utilities" submenu
called "harware issues" or something.

And _avoid_ a "Various"category in that submenu.

-Riccardo
--
GPG key:
3D0F6376