[Panel-devel] application menu and "utilities"

Andrey Cherepanov sibskull at mail.ru
Wed Oct 11 09:52:09 CEST 2006

10 Oct 2006 20:51, Florian Merz wrote:
> I cc'd Craig Drummond because of the kfontview issue.
> Craig, can you please shed some light on kfontview use cases. It would be
> nice to be able to replace the application with a kpart so fonts can still
> be viewed when browsing fonts:/ (or other directories) but we don't have a
> separate entry in the utilities menu. Is there any reason not to do this?
> For example being able to open fonts directly in kmail?
> If a kpart alone is not enough, would it be ok to remove the entry from the
> applications menu and make fontview a 'hidden feature'?
It is close to idea of universal viewer, discussed on kde-artist forum. There
is Okular for image files, but it will be very useful to have simple view
application (or even plasmoid) for popular formats (images, video, documents,
fonts and so on) via appropriated KPart. Example for this idea is Ark
internal viewer.

> > essentially your suggestion is to hide these apps from the menu and only
> > have them launched from apps that need them, correct?
>
> Well, yes. Unfortunately this might introduce different issues: A user
> might say "I know I used an application to format a floppy disk some time
> ago, but now I can't find it in the applications menu.". On the other hand
> I don't even know if users would actually realize this is a separate
> application at all.
Perhaps it's useful to see Mandriva menu paradigm: simple menu and menu with
all applications.

--
Andrey Cherepanov
sibskull at mail.ru