[Panel-devel] application menu and "utilities"

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Oct 9 21:27:02 CEST 2006

hi all...

an interesting observation was raised on kde-devel by the maintainer of
ksysguard: we have a lot of programs that aren't really "full applications"
in the sense that kopete, k3b, kword, konsole, etc are.

they are more like "desktop services" such as kcharselect, kfloppy, kabc, and
ksysguard. he suggested that in user visible strings, they are referred to by
function (e.g. 'Character Selector') rather than by name (e.g. kcharselect).

he also mentioned the kmenu in passing and i think it may be worthwhile to
keep in mind while creating raptor that there may be applications we don't
want to show quite as prominently as others based on this.

right now we have the (very poor, imho) "More Applications" menus and the
Utilities menu. still, there's no place to actually find these small apps all
in one place or in a user-appropriate way. the Generic Names for these apps
are pretty good (kcarhselect's is "Character Selector"), but the user can
easily override this (and lose the useful information here) by changing their
settings.

i'm not sure if there's a Better(tm) way of presenting them than we currently
do. thoughts?