[Panel-devel] KDE4 front-end papers

Zbigniew Braniecki zbigniew.braniecki at gmail.com
Tue May 2 19:14:06 CEST 2006

On 5/2/06, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:

> And the doctor will say, "who's got the surgery diploma here?"

The diploma man is the one who can SOLVE the problem. But not always the
best person to know WHAT IS the problem. :)

That's why we blog. That's why we have mailing lists. That's why we post
> screenshots, create alphas and betas, etc.
>
> But what you're asking is that we stop working, dump all of the ideas that
> we've had and restart from the scratch, talking to a hypothetical mass of
> users who can provide intelligent feedback.

Oh, no. I ask to provide the way to prepare the document. Or the place where
people can get all necessary info.

See, journalists are lazy... If you will not give them info, they'll just...
guess ;)

See this: http://www.idg.pl/news/87252/100.html

And ignore it's in Polish. Just guess what info was just send about what KDE
4 will be ;) A nice set of UI docs and specs + one or two alpha mockups
(even graphs) to use of journalists would fix it.

And third, you're assuming
> there is a mass of users who can provide intelligent, structured
> feedback.

Yes.

> I'm saying that unfiltered data coming from the users have very little
> practical use to developers. This kind of data has to be filtered by
> someone else, condensed and formatted into concrete proposals. And, so
> far, we don't have those people. What we have are the usability people
> and their job is not to do that.

???

I think that's exactly what I did:
http://www.e-gandalf.net/wiki/index.php/KDE4_Features - filtered the input.
And I can do more, and if you'd send a clear signal that you need this, I'm
sure you'd find many volunteers to do this.

Maybe you've found an area where you can contribute?

Depending on if I'll get ANY feedback from anyone in KDE team on this:
http://www.e-gandalf.net/wiki/index.php/KDE4_Features ;)
If I will - yes, that's what I can contribute, if I won't - I still don't
see any way, through I see what is needed, and KDE team says it's not :)

Greetings
Zbigniew Braniecki