[Panel-devel] Xgl, AiGLX, EXA, Compiz, Luminocity, QT4...

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Mar 20 23:09:19 CET 2006

On Sunday 19 March 2006 17:44, Zbigniew Braniecki wrote:
> Hi, I'd like to ask some questions about the future of X.org and
> graphic feature set for KDE4.

here's all i'm going to say on the topic:

we will offer the best experience we can for kde4 given technological, time
and manpower parameters.

xgl and many other exciting new technologies that have arrived are still up in
the air as far as what place they will have in the future of the open source
desktop. those who have expertise in these areas and who are actually working
on them are sorting it out as best and as fast as they can. these things take
time and thought.

i know people want to be promised a glorious new future, but i'd rather spend
time helping deliver that future. you can get involved, but otherwise you'll
just have to have faith in those who are. i think our track record in the
past for delivering on new technologies speaks for itself.

personally, i'm not prepared to weigh in specifically on the future of xgl
because it's far too much of a mess right now due to marketing and corporate
politics to sort out the crap from the gold. we'll see where the dust settles
a year from now.

suffice it to say that exciting things are afoot across the open source
desktop, that kde is by no means a bystander in it all and that kde4 is not
so far away (though it will be if we stop to add things to kde3 ever other
month)