[Panel-devel] Xgl, AiGLX, EXA, Compiz, Luminocity, QT4...

Sébastien Laoût slaout at linux62.org
Mon Mar 20 19:10:02 CET 2006

I have tested Xgl recently, and it's so smooth with GNOME apps!

I can resize a GNOME app window and it resize without any flicker, like
expected.

With any KDE apps, there is a latency: you resize up the window, the new
window area is filled with gray (the window background color) and then some
milliseconds later, the entire window content is displayed resized to the new
window size.

Well... don't talk about OpenOffice.org where the window content is full of
crap during resizing.

But at least with GNOME apps it feels like the window content AND the window
decoration are one ROCK bloc.
It feels better confident.

Is there a technology hidden into that mirracle?
Is there a possibility that the window decoration send a repaint event to the
window content, and when the content is fully painted offscreen then the
window content AND decoration are resized together?

Would it be hard to implement such things in Qt/KDE apps?

Would it be possible to do it in KDE 3.5.x, because KDE 4 is still one year
ahead and more and more distributions will start to ship with Xgl: could be
good if users would be confident with KDE apps, and I don't think this should
be complicated to do... unless it's only possible in Qt4 or...

Best regards,
Sébastien Laoût.